Hm, ok I'm closing my "Google plus" account down like googles chairman suggests because I don't want to use my real name there.
“Regarding people who are concerned about their safety, he said G+ is completely optional. No one is forcing you to use it. It’s obvious for people at risk if they use their real names, they shouldn’t use G+.”
Obviously as a white male I am that privileged, I don't have to worry about my safety, but I'm sympathetic with other groups of people who need that kind of flock protection so they slip sticking out.
I suppose I am one of the slaughter cattle who used the right entrance:
I tried diaspora a couple of days ago but it's not a real alternative because nobody seems to use it, and it seems like that for every other "social networking"-alternative. So I will keep using twitter, you can reach me @jeena on Twitter or here in my blog.
- Reat Write Web ~ Google Plus Tells Pseudonym Lovers to Shove It
- Mashable ~ Eric Schmidt: If You Don’t Want To Use Your Real Name, Don’t Use Google+
- Psyord ~ Female-Name Chat Users Get 25 Times More Malicious Messages
- Randall Munroe (xkcd) ~ Google forcing public gender
- Mädchenmannschaft ~ Anonymous oder Susimaus – Geschlecht im Internet (German)
- [update] Google+ Loses 60% Of Its Traffic After Public Launch | Gizmaestro
[update (2012-12-01] I just read that you now need a G+ account to be able to comment on the Play store and they are thinking about to do the same with YouTube comments. I guess I will just have to move to Tent, Apple and Vimeo.