Just read Matt Gammel's article Content as Medium and it is so good! I think I agree with almost all of the points he makes.
Reading through it in my feed reader on my phone I was constantly thinking that everything he desires from publishers is already available for users who consume their RSS feeds in their own feed reader instead of visiting the websites.
- No blinking ads
- No sidebars, no header, no footer
- Really just the content, text and content images
- No special design
- No links to more articles
- Delivered to your computer/phone immediately, without you doing anything special
- Has an archive which you can search through
- Streamlined design, again just concentrated content nothing more
- You can change the font size on your own for every article
It is just really awesome stuff we got here, and after the death of Google Reader the RSS community seemed to woke up again and we're seeing new apps and services everywhere.
I know we didn't get a protocol for all feed readers which is a shame, but the most important thing are our content providers, honestly I got back to getting my news from RSS because here I can chose actively what I want to read, over there on Facebook and Twitter is just too much noise, you can't hear anything.